Saturday, June 16, 2012

Comments from Teachers in past camps (1 of 3 posts)

At the end of some  of our camps, we ask our teachers about their experiences at the camp.  Over the next several days, I'm going to try and post the responses to several of the questions (a different question with their responses every couple of days, probably)    :)     I hope these help!


Questions #1:  Was this month what you were expecting?  If you could start the summer camp over, what would you do differently?  (personally, in the classroom, etc)

  • No, it was a lot more work than I expected.  I would prepare more spiritually and not underestimate what is required for the classroom.
  • This month was harder than I expected.  It was very challenging physically and mentally.  If I could start over, I would organize my lesson plans for the first week earlier.
  • I think I would have brought something different to get my student’s attention other than my voice.  I think that’s how I lost my voice.  I wasn’t prepared for the time gap between students who work fast & slow.  I wish I had used an actual shelf with books and blank paper/activities like some people did.
  • If I could go back and change anything, I would probably have preplanned lesson ideas.
  • Though I’ve been before, it was definitely different than what I expected, as is always the case…  one thing I would do differently was to incorporate more conversation between the children & involve my TA’s more in each activity.
  • I would started the class off with more discipline.
  • I would be more prepared and would put more planning into it.
  • Bring random supplies for the class/made the classroom more decorative/ had more tests for my children.
  • It involved a lot more energy than I thought it would.  My kids slowly sapped energy from me every day.  If I could do it over again, I would have started off getting more sleep.
  • I think I was too lenient at the beginning because I wanted them to like me… If I could start the camp over, I would have enforced my rules more strictly.  (This was many teacher's answers)